The Influence of the Automobile
on Wabash County
to “The Influence of the Automobile on Wabash County”.
We hope you will enjoy some of the highlights of our exhibit:
automobiles of yesterday and today and the economic impact of
automotibles in today’s economy.
July 12, 1926 Daily Republican Register
Many Cars Pass Street Corner in Period of Hour : Count for An Hour Kept at
Corner of Ninth and Market
Count kept for an hour last night between the hours of 6 and 7 o'clock by
John Coleman revealed that a total of 567 cars passed the corner of Ninth
and Market street.
Mr. Coleman figures at an average of four persons to the car this is a total
of 2,800 people, and the cars represent an investment of half a million dollars.
Mr. Coleman has been informed by President H. A. Russell of the A.P. (Atlantic-Pacific)
highway that a thousand tourists a day are going east out of St. Louis. Though
many of them are coming through this city not all that number are passing
here and a campaign to show tourists that this is the direct route east is
The immense traffic at the corner of Ninth and Market reveals that there is
need of a traffic signal at that corner. Such a signal has been considered
but it is indicated that the state will take care of this matter.
Kolb Family (above) in their 1907 Mitchell automobile. This photo was taken
in front of 422 Chestnut Street, across the street from St. Mary's Church in
Mt. Carmel, IL. In the rear seat, left to right are Mrs. Anna Eve Kohlhouse
Kolb, Margaret Kolb (Talley) age 5 and Mrs. Helen Frederick Kolb. In the front
seat the driver is Peter Joseph Kolb holding Walter Kolb (age 1) and Adam Kolb.
Stillwells (left) in front of their home in Allendale. In the back seat are
Mary Lou (the mother) and Edna B. Stillwell. In the front seat are father Lewis
G. and Junior Stillwell. Notice the kerosene lanterns. Imagine traveling by
the light of these lanterns at night!
DX station was typical of many gas stations around the country. The pumps out
front used a crank or handle to pump the desired amount of gas into the glass
tank at the top which was marked into gallons. It flowed into the car's gas
tank by gravity.
Calvery with his truck on the left and Ralph Andrews and his truck on the right.
Ron was the DX distributer in Mt. Carmel and Ralph covered the Allendale area.
The year was 1947.
Shell station (left) is at the southeast corner of 9th and Main Streets in Mt.
Judging from the cars this was taken in the late 1930's or early 1940's.
Notice the oil drilling rig in the background.
American Legion was a popular place in the 1940's. Notice the parking log in
front of the building and the unpaved alley.
Kamp Motor Company personnel in 1956
First Row: Ray Keepes, shop foreman; Bobby Hughes, sales; Charles G. Campbell,
president; unknown; Thelma Meriwether, head bookkeeper; R. E. "Shine"
Schultheis, secretary-treasurer; and West Stewart, sales
Back Row: Perry Rosignol; Leo Peters; unknown; Bob Lynch; Ted Frye, Herb Stoltz;
Lester Moore; Charlie Lewis; Elba (Doc) Compton; Walter Weir; Bob Davis; Bob Weir and
front end pit at the old Kamp Motors on Market Street in Mount Carmel.
Motors Used Car Lot located on the east side of the 600 block of Market Street.
Between the present locations of First Bank and law office.